We all have bad Mondays, challenging weeks, and even disappointing months. That’s the cyclical nature of a career. However, you’re typically able to make it through a bad Monday, survive a challenging week, and learn valuable lessons from a disappointing quarter.
A toxic work environment is like having all of these challenges on repeat, without a break. Toxic work environments breed unrest, competition, low morale, constant stressors, negativity, sickness, high turnover, and even bullying. Even worse? Toxic workplaces rarely stay at work. They typically follow you home. They take over your conversations with loved ones, steal away much-needed sleep, and generally cause worry and stress.
Toxic workplaces can lead to stress, burnout, and serious disruptions in your normal life. So, if you landed on this article because you’re wondering if your work problems are the result of generalized work stress or something worse, let’s dive into ten signs your workplace might actually be toxic.
10 SIGNS YOU’RE IN A TOXIC WORKPLACE
If any of these look familiar, it’s time for your workplace to shape up—or for you to think about finding a healthier place to work.
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE MAY HAVE BAD COMMUNICATION
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE MAY HAVE CLIQUES, EXCLUSION + GOSSIPY BEHAVIOR
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE MAY HAVE BAD LEADERSHIP
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE LIKELY HAS UNMOTIVATED COWORKERS
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE MAY HAVE STIFLED GROWTH
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE LIKELY HAS RAPID EMPLOYEE TURNOVER
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE OFTEN HAS NO WORK-LIFE BALANCE
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE LEAVES YOU BATTLING BURNOUT
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE HAS LITTLE OR NO FORWARD MOVEMENT
- A TOXIC WORKPLACE TRIGGERS A GUT FEELING